The Client’s rapid growth into new markets left it with aging systems that were unreliable, provided little process visibility, and increased customer churn. InterWorks was selected along with its main US partner for the implementation of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) to facilitate the migration from the client’s legacy systems to a new BSS/OSS.
The high complexity and the lack of abstraction layers created more failure points in the enterprise and increased the occurrence of customer affecting outages. Most of the IT budget goes into maintenance of the current IT infrastructure and only a small amount is available for new functionalities to drive new business opportunities.
InterWorks created a modern architecture for the integration of the new systems supporting Cricket’s BSS/OSS including SOA, event-driven architecture, business process management, complex event processing and master data management.
InterWorks designed and built the SOA to support the implementation and business-process integration of the following systems:
- Billing system replacement analysis and integration
- New point of sale system analysis and integration
- Platform for new supply chain management
- Local number portability application replacement and integration
- Master data management of location and product information
- Integration with a third-party vendors for electronic payments processing
- Enterprise-wide system refactoring to support a major new product launch
- Assessment and recommendations for more strategic test data management
- New data management processes and reverse engineering of the existing ETL/data warehouse infrastructure
Cricket leveraged the InterWorks Quick Start Rulebook to establish SOA standards and governance. InterWorks’ Generic Exception Handler and Audit Logger created an out-of-the-box set of utility services for SOA.
Benefits and Results
- Established standardized methodologies, governance, templates and frameworks that brought structure and reuse to what was a very entrepreneurial environment
- Improved visibility into enterprise-wide system events and exceptions
- Increased purchased software ROI
- Enabled agile new product launches through an improved SOA based integration infrastructure
- Established error-management and audit-logging SOA utility services
- Paved the way for complete SOA adoption within Cricket
- Reduced total software cost of ownership